Description: Camp Sunrise is a fully-inclusive program for individuals with physical, cognitive, sensory, emotional and/or multiple disabilities. Campers will have fun participating in drama, arts and crafts, daily swimming, gym and sports. Campers are integrated into partner camps and enjoy all of the usual camp activities while being in a supportive personal environment. These camps feature very low staff to camper ratios and specially trained staff.
- Using adaptations to assist in communication with children.
- Communicating with parents.
- Helping all children to abide by the same general camp rules, with
some flexibility based on individual needs.
- Matching campers with counselors. Attention is paid to creating a
"good match," personality wise, between counselors and the children
with special needs.
- Supporting counselors who have a child with disabilities in their group
in ways such as:
1. Pre-camp training (for all counselors and camp staff).
2. Provide information on campers fro adaptive counselors.
3. Providing an extra counselor for support, when needed.
4. Assist adaptive counselors with problem situations (following the