SUPPORTING OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, TOMORROW AND THE FUTURE!
Greater Beverly YMCA Expansion
The Greater Beverly YMCA is conducting a $6.5 million Capital Campaign, "Building a Better Community." Capital construction will focus on a new Education Center and an expanded Healthy Living Center. The Y is doing amazing work, but an expanded facility will allow us to better serve families through achievement gap prevention programming; obesity-prevention; health & wellness services; expanded teen center; outreach programs; and more. Please continue to visit this website for progress updates and ways you can be part of making this dream a reality!
Do you have question about the expansion? We're here to keep you informed!
After years of study, the volunteer Board of the Greater Beverly Y has determined that current community needs are significant and we need to expand to meet these growing needs:
- 28,000 children in MA are on a waitlist for early education and after school care.
- 1/3 of children in our community are overweight or obese.
- By the end of 3rd grade, 4 out of 5 low-income students fail to read proficiently.
- The CDC projects that 1 in 3 adults could have diabetes by 2050.
- 24% of people in our community come from economically disadvantaged households, not able to afford vital services they need.
This expansion builds a better community....
- Preschoolers will benefit from new education classroom space.
- School-age children will benefit from expanded afterschool programming on the 2nd floor.
- Working families will benefit from the new affordable and quality early education center to nurture and develop their children during working hours.
- Students struggling academically will benefit from expanded Achievement-Gap Reduction programs, including Summer Learning Loss Prevention.
- Health seekers will benefit from new opportunities, disease prevention programs, and expanded space.
- Y members will benefit from expanded programs, increased space, and more accessibility.
- The Y's new facilities will expand its reach and meet the needs of the economically disadvantaged who will benefit from vital programs and services.
The Y's goal for a new Healthy Living Center is to provide more health & wellness programming to improve quality of life for people of all ages in an expanded facility. With additional renovations to the current facility, our goal is to give Y members enhancements that meet the growing needs of all in our community.
Our goal for a new Education Center is to engage more youth in early learning and academic achievement programs to better prepare them for educational success. This project is so much more than bricks and mortar. It is an opportunity to meet the growing needs of our community and continue to be the place where all belong, regardless of income, age, race or ability.
Scope of Work
This new space will provide...
A New Education Center to impact learning for all ages.
- Nine (9) classrooms, for infant and toddler education
- Easy access for parent pick-up and drop-off
- State-of-the-art amenities for children with disabilities
- Four (4) second floor academic achievement classrooms
Expanded Healthy Living Center to improve the membership experience and meet our community's health and wellness needs.
- Additional 4,000-square feet of fitness space and new state-of-the-art equipment to get people healthy and keep them fit
- Expanded physical therapy center with easier accessibility
- New expanded group exercise studios for vital health and wellness programming
- Easily accessible elevator near new entrance
- Expanded Kid's Club babysitting space for families
- Expanded family locker rooms, doubling the space for families
- A healthy living cafe plus 2,000 square feet of new community space to gather with friends and neighbors
Campaign Steering Committee
We are grateful for the leadership, dedication and support of our committee:
Dane Poeske, Committee Chair
Caleb Loring, III, Campaign Chair