Our pools are more than just to swim in. They are Liquid Gyms.
Water fitness isn’t just aqua aerobics anymore! Our Ys are some of the only facilities in the country to offer not only high quality, high intensity workouts in the pool, but specialty equipment including Water Treadmills, Water Bikes, Aqua Poles (think TRX in the water!) and Glide Fit floating fitness mats.
Plus, you can wear your bathing suit, or your fitness clothes! Whatever you are most comfortable in.
The benefits of getting in the water and working out:
- Low Impact. The upward force called “buoyancy” helps to take pressure off of the joints.
- Whole Body Conditioning. Water provides built-in resistance allowing for more intense workouts.
- Less Injury Concern. Working out in water is known for its rehabilitation properties.
- Good for cardiovascular health. Just being in the water is known to reduce high blood pressure and puts less strain on the heart.
- Greater range of motion. The impact of gravity is less in the water allowing for an increased range of motion than on land.
Group Fitness Classes in the Water
Deep Water Boot Camp
An advanced aquatic fitness class utilizing HIIT, Strength Training and endurance without any impact on joints. Participants utilize jogging belts and other resistance equipment to create a total body workout
S’WET™ ( Structured Water Exercise Training)
Combining high intensity interval training with advanced cardio, plyometrics, and strength equipment , S'WET ™ is a powerful water workout experience adjustable for all levels of activity. Whether you're a triathlete swimmer or just looking to supplement your current exercise routine, this souped-up aquatic boot camp is your one-stop shop for an ultimate total body water workout.
Dual Depth Circuit
With stations located in both the shallow water and deep, Circuit training is the most efficient combination of building strength and burning fat. The short rest between stations is designed to keep the heart rate elevated and build endurance. Each station is time-bound meaning exercisers can go at their own pace. This class is for all fitness levels for those comfortable swimming in deep water.
Powered by Hydro Revolution , specializing in functional drag resistance equipment, Aqua Strength is a combinatination of strength training and high intensity (HIIT) cardio to build muscle and burn calories.
Liquid Gym Equipment
- Glidefit - Beverly YMCA
- Aquapoles - Ipswich YMCA
- Aqua treadmills - Cape Ann YMCA
- Aquabikes - Cape Ann YMCA
- AquaStrength System - Lynch Van Otterloo YMCA
- Aqua Trampolines - Beverly YMCA Coming Soon!