COMMITMENT TO SAFETY AND EDUCATION
The Y is deeply committed to making our communities safer and better. We offer a wide variety of classes and training opportunities to help everyone grow their skill set, including: CPR, First Aid, AED, Lifeguard Training, Babysitting and more!
REGISTER AND LEARN MORE BELOW:
CPR, First Aid Classes
Lifeguard Training, CPR and First Aid Information
Whether you are looking for a great summer job or career as a professional lifeguard, the YMCA the North Shore Lifeguard training program is the place to begin! You’ll learn the skills you need to become certified as a lifeguard through classroom activities, group discussion and hands-on practice.
Our comprehensive Lifeguard Training course includes accident prevention, lifeguarding techniques, emergency systems, and rescue skills. Course will also include CPR for the professional Rescuer with AED, Oxygen Administration and First Aid.
Upon successful completion of the course the participant will be certified in:
- YMCA Lifeguard Training
- ASHI CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
- ASHI Basic First Aid and Oxygen Administration
Participants must be 16 years old by the end of the class. Attendance, full participation, and successful completion of written tests and performance of all water skills are required for certification.
Participants must be able to:
- Tread water for at least 2 minutesSwim 500 yards of front crawl
- Swim 50 yards each of: front crawl with head up, sidestroke, breaststroke, breaststroke with head up, inverted breaststroke kick with hands on stomach
- Perform a feet first surface dive in 8 to 10 feet of water and then swim underwater for 15 feet
- Perform a series of tasks given by the instructor to demonstrate listening and scanning ability as well as stamina and endurance