YMCA of the North Shore facilities are now OPEN, and memberships that were on hold during our shutdown period are now reactivating with the next billing cycle.
Request a Membership Account Change
If you’re not ready, or if you had requested an extended hold and want to reactivate early, just click here to submit a request and our membership staff will send you an email confirmation.
Facility Tours - Safety & Sanitation Tours Coming back to the Y is a personal health decision! We know some members won’t feel comfortable under these current guidelines, and that’s okay. Come see all our safety and sanitation procedures firsthand! Please wear a mask when you visit, and a member of our team will walk you through our redesigned facility spaces and sanitation procedures. We look forward to answering any questions you might have as you consider whether or not you're ready to join or reactivate your membership. Visit or Schedules Page and click "Facility Tours" to sign up for a tour!
As we implement a slow, phased reopening, we want to remind you that we have several levels of engagement available:
Virtual Activities - Enjoy our virtual library and live stream workouts from home.
Outdoor Activities - Spread out and get a workout in the fresh air with outdoor group exercise and lap swim, where available!
Indoor Activities - For those who are healthy and ready for indoor activities, come work out in our fitness centers and indoor pools, with state-mandated mask and distancing guidelines.
MA State Mandated Mask & Distancing Protocols
Per Massachusetts Department of Public Health, members must wear masks at all times except during vigorous exercise on equipment spaced at least 14 feet apart.
Here’s some helpful information below:
Make sure your membership is active! If you need to update your membership, just email the membership director at your local Y listed here.
New Reservations System:
You must reserve a space for your visit prior to arrival.
- Click here to view availability
- Find your preferred event and sign up - you’ll complete a required health attestation and waiver in the process.
- Reservations open for sign up 24 hours in advance.
- Please plan to arrive and depart within the timeframe of your reservation, as we will be sanitizing spaces and equipment in between reservation groups.
When You Arrive:
- We ask that you stay in your car until your reserved time block begins.
- Wear a face mask into the Welcome Center for check-in.
- If a line has formed, space yourself 6 feet apart (we’ll have signage on the floor to help!)
- When it’s your turn, staff will:
- Verify your reservation
- Ask you to verbally confirm nothing has changed with your health or exposure to the virus
- Invite you to scan your membership card/phone app and enter
Outdoor Group Exercise Class Reservations
Currently available at: Beverly, Cape Ann, Lynch/van Otterloo, Ipswich Family, Haverhill and Plaistow (NH) YMCAs
- We're now able to welcome members ages 14+ at our Massachusetts YMCAs and 9+ at our Plaistow, NH Y once a Parent/Guardian COVID Waiver is completed.
- To adhere to social distancing guidelines, classes are limited to 10 participants.
- Reserve a spot on our website (up to 24 hours in advance). PLEASE NOTE! When reserving for a group, please be sure to select the total number of people attending, including small children and adults, so that we can adhere to state-mandated occupancy limits and keep everyone as safe as possible!
- Please check-in at the Welcome Center and we'll direct you to the outdoor location of the class.
- Equipment will be limited to mats only.
- Don't forget your water bottle!
Indoor Pool Reservations
Currently available at: All Massachusetts YMCA of the North Shore locations
- We're now able to welcome members ages 16+ at our Massachusetts YMCAs and 14+ at our Plaistow, NH Y once a Parent/Guardian COVID Waiver is completed. Indoor pool reservations are currently available for lap swim only, please see schedule to reserve a lane.
- Come in your bathing suit ready to swim! Locker rooms are available to swimmers only for changing, however, belongings must be stored on the pool deck during your swim as locker use is still prohibited.
- Due to current state guidelines, showers are only to be used to rinse off before swimming and must remain closed otherwise.
Outdoor Pool Reservations
Currently available at: Greater Beverly YMCA, Lynch/van Otterloo YMCA, Ipswich Family YMCA
- Pool reservations are available in either lap swim or open swim formats, depending on the pool - please see schedule.
- Open swim reservations allow for a group reservation; as the reservation includes a COVID-19 medical attestation and waiver, individuals included in your reservation group must be members of your household.
- Teens 16+ are welcome to reserve a swim time on their own once a parent has completed the Parent/Guardian COVID Waiver.
- Due to current state guidelines, there will be no locker rooms during this phase. Bathroom access is available.
- Please, no food or drink at this time.
- Check-in at the Welcome Center and then head outside to the pool gate!
Locker Room Access
Currently available at: Plaistow YMCA, limited access at MA YMCAs
- Plaistow YMCA: Lockers are available for day use only; no sauna access at this time.
- Massachusetts YMCAs: Locker rooms are available to swimmers only for changing, however, belongings must be stored on the pool deck during your swim as locker use is still prohibited; due to current state guidelines, showers are only to be used to rinse off before swimming and must remain closed otherwise.
Fitness Center Reservations
Currently available at: ALL OUR YMCA locations
- Drop-In Fitness Center Use Beginning Saturday, September 19, no reservations are required at Plaistow Community YMCA, Lynch/van Otterloo YMCA and Ipswich Family YMCA.
- Greater Beverly, Cape Ann, Haverhill, and Salem YMCAs: Fitness center reservations are available in 75-minute blocks; seniors and/or immune-compromised members may prefer reserving the 2:00 PM reservation block immediately following our midday deep clean of facilities.
- Youth/Teen Access: We're now able to welcome members ages 14+ at our Massachusetts YMCAs and 9+ at our Plaistow, NH Y (during certain hours) once a Parent/Guardian COVID Waiver has been completed.
New Hampshire vs. Massachusetts Residency:
Due to New Hampshire guidelines, New Hampshire residents are welcome to enroll as new members at the Plaistow YMCA, and we would be glad to help you enroll over the phone or online before your visit. Massachusetts residents who are current YMCA of the North Shore members are permitted to visit the Plaistow Y. Massachusetts residents who are not currently members may not enroll at the Plaistow Y at this time.
What you can expect when you visit
- Single Entry/Exit: To help us maintain our safety protocols, we will maintain a single entry/exit point plus clearly marked traffic patterns.
- PPE for Staff: All staff working directly with members will be wearing masks and other personal protective equipment.
- Self-Scan: Members will be asked to self-scan into the Y to allow for limited contact entry. This is especially easy using our mobile app! Click here for more information about our app and how to download.
- More Sanitizing Stations: We are providing single-use disinfectant wipes for exercise machines and have added more hand sanitizing stations throughout our Y.
- Protective Shields: We will have shields installed in our welcome centers and we ask that you complete any enrollments or account changes via email or phone.
- "Green Means Clean" Stickers: We will be maintaining a strict cleaning regimen that includes a green sticker system. Our staff will apply a green sticker every time a machine has been disinfected. You can help by removing the green sticker when you use a machine.
- Spaces Redesigned for Social Distance: All open areas inside the Y have been evaluated and redesigned where necessary to help ensure social distancing between members. You’ll see signage throughout our facilities to help guide you and, as always, our staff is here to answer your questions.
How we are asking members to help maintain safety
We appreciate our member's adherence to the following safety precautions during their visits:
- Stay Home if You’re Sick: Members should stay home if they don’t feel well. You will sign a digital health attestation when you register for your visit.
- Keep Your Distance: Please exercise on designated equipment only and respect all signage regarding social distancing. Strive to maintain at least six feet between you and others whenever possible.
- Expect Reduced Capacity: To ensure proper social distancing, our wellness areas will have a limited capacity. At times of full capacity, you will be asked to wait in a designated area until space is available.
- Remember to Wipe Down & Sanitize Equipment: Please help us reduce the risk of exposure by wiping down all equipment, weights, mats, etc. with the provided cleaning materials.
- Follow Facility Signage: You'll notice lots of signage around our facility to not only remind and motivate you, but also to ensure you know which areas are available, where entries and exits are and where you can find sanitizing supplies.
- Wear a Mask: In our Massachusetts locations, we must ask you to please keep your mask on unless you're exercising vigorously on a machine that's at least 14 feet apart from other people and equipment. In our Plaistow, NH location, we ask that you keep your mask on while you’re within 6 feet of others.